Wednesday, November 5, 2008

New Beginnings

dress: victorianbustle.etsy.com

apron: kimmi.etsy.com
custom wooden bangle bracelet: palomasnest.etsy.com

necklace: betsey johnson

hair flowers: jonelle lind (she stops by luna park cafe every few weeks to sell 'em.)





i'm a sucker for a good dress. or apron. or necklace. or shoes. or pretty much anything, depending on my mood. i've considered doing a daily outfit blog for so so long but i just hadn't gotten around to it until today. i only brought my camera so i could snap a photo for Darlene, aka VictorianBustle.etsy.com , so she could see how much i adore the dress i bought from her. isn't it stunning?


in the past three years, my life has changed drastically. in february of 2006 i was struck down in a crosswalk in downtown seattle. my right leg was shattered and i went through several surgeries and months of physical therapy to learn to walk again. i was no longer able to work as a cosmetic executive as i am limited in my ability to walk and stand and can't fly for more than two hours at a time. my leg is permanently disfigured and i am forced to use a cane quite often.




my franken-leg at my sister's wedding this summer (the hottie is my best friend cory)


i only write about it for the simple reason that it had a major effect on my self esteem. it made me feel so hideous! i also put on weight since i'm very limited in what kind of exercise i can do. it was hard at first and i just wanted to hide from the world. the strange thing is that it somehow eventually returned me to the fashion maverick i used to be.


i started sewing again, something i hadn't done for almost 10 years! in the past few months i've created piles of new clothes, mostly by upcycling vintage finds.


my circus dress




my cinderella dress





my butterfly dress



so i might not be able to wear high heels anymore or dance all night long but i feel as though i've returned to being susie and prue (my alter ego). this blog will be a record of my daily outfits and current fashion-y obsessions. there will be no political or moral info, no date drama or work squabbles and no heavy stuff about my leg (after todays post that is). this will just be a tribute to adornments and (hopefully) a preview of my as-yet-to-open etsy store. yays!

dress: solanah.etsy.com

necklace: mmefortuna.etsy.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hugs and love to my most inspiring muse, to date. I love your look, S. You make me want to create things, because you don't just WEAR something, you become something. A bit of a larvae becoming a butterfly sort of thing, everytime you put something new on.

I had no clue about your leg. I mean, in that detail. And sorry is only as good as a word. So, I'll just say that I am hoping that it doesn't trouble you or make you feel less of a "person" because of it. Had you not mentioned it, I would never have guessed. Honest!

So you were a make-up guru, eh? Mac? I think that'd be a blast. And I have the basic knowledge of make-up insofar as color and highlighting go.... but that's about it. To wit, I can make someone look great, but can't photograph that person to save my life. My etsy photos might tell ya about that! LOL

I really love the person and woman you are, girl.

Know that. And strike a pose b/c you are a veritable force! Fierce!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the blog comment, Su... I am so empathetic to your self-esteem crisis. I see that you were a magnificent department store beauty manager, and are now a VERY talented designer, model, and creative inspiration to the likes of me (okay, maybe that last one isn't as cool as I thought it sounded, but trust me you continue to inspire me time and again!)

I don't have any answers to your spiritual struggles... I wish I did. But then, if we had all the answers, well...I don't know how much we would appreciate the journey of life. Know what I mean?

I loveeeee you, susie "Q"! Take heart, I believe life has its cycles, and that an up-cycle is inevitable after a down.

Here's hoping the both of us get some much needed "happy" "good" times...

Anonymous said...

p.s. How do you get your etsy favs there on the side? I've tried getting whatever gadget is req'd, and I I always get "this appears to be broken."

Perplexing!